The CCW Implementation Support Unit (ISU) was established by the Meeting of the High Contracting Parties to the Convention (Geneva, 12 – 13 November 2009), as stipulated in its Final Report CCW/MSP/2009/5, (para. 34 – 37). The ISU is housed under the United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs Geneva branch and is responsible for the administration of the CCW meetings.
Mandate and Tasks
The CCW ISU will perform the following tasks:
- Provide administrative support to and prepare documentation for the meetings of the High Contracting Parties to the CCW, Amended Protocol II and Protocol V;
- Facilitate communications among High Contracting Parties and, upon request, with international organizations;
- Serve as a focal point for submission of information by and to the High Contracting Parties related to the Convention and its annexed Protocols;
- Support the High Contracting Parties, on request, in the implementation of the CCW;
- Contribute to the promotion of the universalization (…);
- Perform any other duty as mandated by the High Contracting Parties of the CCW or its Protocols.
The exhaustive list of tasks can be seen here.
The Head of the ISU reports to the annual Meetings of the High Contracting Parties to the Convention on the ISU’s operation.
To contact the CCW ISU, please email email@example.com.